Halloween Fire Safety Tips
Without taking the proper precautions, your spooky Halloween decorations in your home and yard can pose a potential fire risk to your family and to trick-or-treaters who visit your door. Keep these things in mind for a safe and fire free Halloween display.
- Avoid open flames.
Jack-o'-lanterns with burning candles require constant supervision and can pose a risk to trailing parts of flammable costumes. Choose battery-operated candles or LED lights instead.
- Don’t overload extension cords.
If you have a lot of interior decorations that require power, make sure that you're not putting too much strain on your extension cords. Your cord should be the correct amps for what you're plugging into it. Check the cord periodically: If any part of the cord, the plug or the socket is hot, unplug it to prevent overheating.
- Watch the flammable decor.
Halloween decor like moss, spooky gauze, or fake spider webs are extremely flammable. Also, by placing them around doorways, you may accidentally block their exits in the case of a fire. Just in case, keep exits clear and keep flammable materials away from fire hazards.
SERVPRO of Bay County wishes everyone a very Happy and Spooky Halloween! Call SERVPRO of Bay County today at (850) 785-1077 if you need Fire Damage assistance!