Residential Fire Prevention – Dryer Fires
Preventative maintenance is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of a residential structure fire, and this is especially true in the case of clothing dryers. The US Fire Administration reports than an average of 2,900 dryer fires occur each year, amounting in nearly $35 million worth of property damage loss, and that failure to clean the dryer is the leading cause of these fires. Keep yourself and your property safe by following these tips on dryer maintenance:
- Make sure that you clothes dryer is installed according to manufacturer specifications. Improper wiring can cause an electrical fire.
- Clean out the lint filter after each cycle. This allows the proper air flow through the machine, and the removal of the lint limits the amount of material available to burn if a fire did start.
- Periodically check the vent system leading out of the dryer. Make sure this venting is not cracked or restricted.
- Clean out lint buildup behind and around the dryer.
- Do not leave your dryer running unattended.
If do you find that your home has experienced fire damage, know that SERVPRO of Bay County has the training, experience, equipment, and expertise to help. Servicing Panama City, Callaway, Laguna Beach, and surrounding communities, SERVPRO of Bay County offers 24-hour emergency service, and is Faster to Any Size Disaster! To learn more, or schedule service, give us a call at 850-785-1077.