Enjoy a Safe Memorial Day Celebration!
Memorial Day in the Panhandle of Florida is often celebrated with outdoor activities, grilling, and fireworks displays. While enjoying your Memorial Day festivities, it is also important to practice fire safety to keep your joyous occasion from turning terrible quickly!
Practice Grilling Safety:
- Be sure to do all grilling a safe distance away from both structures and foliage. The U.S Fire Administration recommends keeping a 3-foot “safe zone” around your grill, providing safety for your property, pets, and children.
- Clean your grill regularly. Grease build-up can serve as a fuel source for fires to flame-up and quickly get out of hand.
- Do not leave your grill unattended! Once grilling is complete, be sure to property turn off fuel sources or extinguish coals before leaving the area. Unattended, hot grills can be very dangerous both as burn hazards AND structure fire sources.
Practice Firework Safety:
- Follow the guidelines, regulations, and recommendations set forth by local and state authorities when using fireworks.
- Follow the firework manufacturer’s safety guidelines. Improper use of fireworks can lead to both serious bodily injury as well as property damage concerns.
- Do not allow children to use fireworks unattended.
- Discharge fireworks in an area free of debris, foliage, and structures, all of which could easily catch fire and spread.
In the unfortunate event that your Memorial Day celebration leads to fire damages, call SERVPRO of Bay County at 850-785-1077 for help. Our team of highly trained professionals has the equipment, experience, and training to remediate fire, soot, and smoke damages safely and effectively, helping make your loss “Like it never even happened.”