Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Does Your Bay County Home Have a Mold Problem?
In Bay County, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today - (850) 785-1077
Bay County Residents: Follow these Mold Safety Tips if You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Bay County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services:
SERVPRO of Bay County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (850) 785-1077
Dehumidifying Your Home
When you live in Northwest Florida, humidity is inevitable. The warm weather we enjoy so much is saturated by a significant amount of water, which generates the excessive moisture around you. While many fear what the humidity means for their hair or their skin, have you thought about what it means for your home?
In humid climates, homes run serious risk of damage from collecting all of the moisture the air carries. A common result of high humidity levels in your home is mold. Mold grows quickly in warm, damp conditions and can fester into an entire colony within 24 hours of their spores attaching themselves to surfaces and feeding. As mold grows and spreads throughout your home, allergens and irritants are released into the air which creates a dangerous situation for you and your family. The allergens and irritants can become toxic, causing respiratory problems and other health issues.
That’s why it’s critically important to take steps in preventing mold growth in the first place. We recommend starting with a dehumidifier for your home. Using a dehumidifier will help you maintain optimal humidity levels that are both healthy and comfortable. Running fans, and checking up on your HVAC system will also help keep the humidity down. Make sure everything is running smoothly and functioning properly to help circulate air flow, and if you need help with an inspection you can always call SERVPRO of Bay County. We’ll also help check your vents, filters, and make sure everything is in good working condition.
If you do discover mold growing in your home, it should be dealt with immediately - it can be harmful to your home and your health. Call SERVPRO of Bay County at 850-785-1077 and our quick response team will be there to begin the mold remediation process right away.
Preventing Mold In Your Bathroom
Fighting mold in your bathroom? That’s because showers, sinks, bathtubs and toilets are each high producers of lingering moisture, creating the perfect environment for mold to grow in.
The good news is, there are preventative measures you can take to help combat mold growth in these areas, and stop it from spreading to the rest of your home:
- Make sure your bathroom is properly ventilated. Ventilation is key in regulating the amount of moisture in the air and keeps it from settling on surfaces where mold can grow. If you have a fan, make sure it is on or a window is open while you are showering so the steam can be directed away from the rest of the room.
- Once you finish taking a bath or shower, allow your bathroom fan to run for at least 30 minutes longer. This will give the air time to circulate.
- Mildew-resistant materials to the rescue! If you have a shower curtain or window curtains in your bathroom, make sure they are mildew resistant so mold can’t grow on them.
- Wipe down your shower often. Wiping down your shower after using it removes any lingering moisture that otherwise would have no place to go.
- Wash your shower curtain. Many people forget this one, but you should always wash your shower curtain at least once a month! Not only will it keep your bathroom looking fresh and clean, it will help remove any mold spores that could potentially grow and wreak havoc on the material.
- NEVER leave damp laundry on the floor. Or any laundry for that matter. When damp laundry is left on the floor, it creates the perfect breeding ground for mold spores. It also can ruin your clothes!
- Repair any water leaks. If any drains, faucets, or pipes are leaking water, it creates a constant source of moisture for mold to live on and grow from. Fix leaks immediately to reduce the chances of mold.
If you find mold, or suspect you may have mold in your home, give SERVPRO of Bay County a call and we will come inspect it for you. 850-785-1077
3 Early Signs of Mold Growth
It’s no secret that mold is one of the most hazardous forms of damage that can happen to your home. It infiltrates homes easily, grows rapidly, and can be harmful to your house and your health. If you’re worried about finding mold in your home, be on alert and look for these three signs that could indicate early stages of mold growth:
1. The first indicator of the presence of mold are water spots. Any surfaces dampened by water create the perfect environment for mold to flourish. Water spots that begin appearing on your walls, ceiling, or floors should be a major red flag. Wherever you see water spots, try finding the source of the moisture causing them and get it taken care of as soon as possible.
We recommend hiring remediation professionals like our team here at SERVPRO of Bay County to help fix the problem as well as take preventive measures to keep it from happening again.
2. The second sign to look for is discoloration. If you find spots of discoloration on surfaces of your home, it could mean fungus is growing. If there is a green or black tint to it, mold is even more likely
3. Third, mold can cause a bad smell. Depending on the type of mold and how fast it is growing, the aroma could be strong or faint, can smell pungent, musty, or earthy. If you experience any of those smells coming from your home, it needs to be inspected.
When mold is ignored, it becomes harmful and dangerous. It’s important to take action immediately in removing it in order stop the infestation and prevent future spreading. If you have mold in you home, call us today for our remediation services.
Mold: The Nitty-Gritty Facts
It’s safe to say the no one wants mold growing in their home. It’s a form of fungus that can run rampant and not only cause damage to your home but to your health. We’re laying out the facts about mold so you can keep your home and family safe this year.
Mold loves moist, warm, and humid environments.
So, basically all of Bay County, Florida. When mold spores land on spots that are damp, they start to grow by digesting materials around them.
There are four common indoor molds.
The first is called Alternaria, often found in damp indoor spaces likes showers and faucets. The second, Aspergillus, thrives on dust – think powdery food items and drywall. Cladosporium, the third common mold type, is a double threat growing in both warm and cool areas. This is the type of mold you would typically find on fabric and wood surfaces. The fourth mold is Penicillium, known for its blue and green appearance and often appearing on water damaged materials.
Mold grows FAST.
The moment spores attach to an item they begin feeding, allowing mold to grow within a 24 to 48-hour period. It only takes 1 to 12 days for mold to colonize, which is why it’s important to remove it as soon as possible upon discovering it.
There are many ways for mold to get into your home.
Although invisible to the naked eye, mold spores can be found everywhere indoor and outdoor. They can travel through the air or attach themselves to objects, pets, and even people. Mold only begins to grow and become a problem when the spores land somewhere with ideal environmental conditions. This usually means anywhere with warmth and moisture, such as windows where condensation builds up, areas where leakage and flooding has occurred, damp paper products and cardboard, insulation materials, and more.
Mold should be dealt with immediately.
With its rapid growth and harmful effects on both health and home, mold should be dealt with immediately and professionally to ensure its complete removal.
What is Mold?
mold due to extensive moisture
Mold is a fungus that reproduces by spreading tiny spores everywhere. Each and every day, there are millions upon millions of mold spores just drifting through the air, both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors, molds plays a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matters, such as leaves and dead trees, but indoors mold growth should be avoided. Mold may begin to grow indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. Although there are many different types of mold, none of them can grow without water or moisture.
Remember mold is everywhere and has been around a long time, so living with mold is a nature process, it's only when mold levels grow beyond the normal levels that they can cause problems. So, knowing the basics about mold can help you and your family.
The key to mold control is moisture control
If mold is a problem in your home, you should have the mold cleaned promptly and properly and have the water problem repaired.
It is important to dry water damaged areas and items with 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
If you have visible mold in your home, contact us at SERVPRO of Bay County today 850-785-1077. Our technicians are friendly, well-trained, and knowledgeable to determine the problem and course of action remediate the problem.
Vacation Rental Tips
Having less mold means having a happier vacation property.
Bay County is known for its beautiful sandy beaches and warm weather vacationing. Thousands of homeowners rent out their beach houses and condos to families from all over the world every year.
One of the biggest threats to those vacation properties is mold. If you own such a property it is very important when you leave or it is vacant you do not shut off the air conditioning to save money, you could be risking much more than a few extra bucks on your power bill.
Mold thrives in humid areas. So if your property is not managed by a professional agency you might want to think about investing in an outdoor inverter unit or something like the NEST system in order to keep the excess moisture out of your unit while you are away.
No one likes dealing with mold or the inconvenience of remediation. Paying close attention to these tips can save you both money and frustration.
SERVPRO of Bay County is always here to help (850)785-1077
Call for professional help!
During kitchen remodeling homeowners found mold damage when replacing their cabinets. They immediately called SERVPRO of Bay County. Our professionals at SERVPRO of Bay County followed IICRC guidelines removing all of the affected drywall and completed mold remediation. Mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48-72 hours, and can produce allergens and irritants that have the potential to cause health effects. If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Bay County professionals can inspect and assess your property. If mold is found, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation. SERVPRO follows IICRC standards on all jobs.
Call us 24/7